Thursday, April 23, 2009

Animals vs. Humans

It's time to talk about something that has been irking me for awhile...I keep seeing these very sad and very dramatic adds urging us to "save the animals".  One set of adds invokes some weepy Sarah McLaughlin song while the camera tightens on some very adorable cats and dogs.  Then Sarah herself gets on, urging us to donate to stop abused animals.

The next ad has similar weepy music, but they have a really BIG star: Noah Wiley (at least I think that was his name).  He was on ER like 8 years ago.  But anyway, Noah tells us that polar bears are going extinct and we've got to act now and support the WWF (I'm not joking - that's what it is called.  I really wish they'd get Hulk Hogan to do these ads.  That might only add to the confusion).

Now look, I'm not about forcing the extinction of animals and I'm absolutely not down with abusing animals.  But each time I see these ads I also seem to think the same thing: "what about all the HUMANS that are dying and being abused???  How come I'm not seeing any commercials about saving them?

I mean, couldn't we just join forces, knock out this world hunger thing then, day after that we'll tackle the polar bear extinction.  Or we could start with the abused cats and dogs (I'm not set on the order).  Maybe I'm too black and white about this...and certainly a little judgmental I guess.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Isaac said...

If we started caring about humans, we would then have to look honestly at abortions. The world would rather keep our attention on polar bears.